Thursday, August 12, 2010

Burst of Color


I start this day with clean(er) bathrooms, mopped floors and laundry put away and ready for some sewing fun.  Today I will be cutting out fabric for Erica's quilt.  Erica is a darling college girl that I have been mentoring for a couple of years now.  We do Bible study, talk about boys, share recipes and scrutinize life together all through the lens of God's word.  She had a birthday recently and when I asked her what she wanted, she asked for a quilt.  Imagine that, being asked to make a quilt - my heart soared! 



She knew she wanted it bright and so we based it on the Amy Butler sheets she had purchased.  I had fun picking out the pattern and fabric since the colors are not something I would normally work with.  The fabric is from many different lines.  The backing fabric above is from Free Spirit and is called "Sugar Snap" isn't that a cute name?




Amy Butler has some great bedding lines out and making a quilt to match the sheets (lower right hand corner) is a great project.  Most of the stores around me are not carrying much of her bedding lines yet but I'm sure it won't be long.



The pattern uses many different size squares and rectangles.  The picture above is made with fabric from the "Nicey Jane" collection.



I like how the pattern uses some very large pieces of fabric, really showing the pattern of the fabric off.



It feels good to be running my hands over fabric today.  I'm always amazed at how excited I get over quilting.  Just finding the right pattern can get me dancing.  Brenda from Little Acorns has three new patterns out.  Check out her wonderful blog here to see them!

Be Blessed,

6 comments:

  1. That is going to be just beautiful. I hope you show a picture of it when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun to have a new quilt project to do for someone you love! I cant wait to see it. I'm heading over to Little Acorns now:>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really going to be an exciting commission for you! And I just know that your young friend will cherish her quilt! I am so glad that you have such a fun project to do. Please oh please show us when you can.
    Have a great afternoon. Sincerely, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound a lot like my dear mother. Going to fabric stores is almost a spiritual experience for her. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful...what a gift you have, but in talent and such a sweet spirit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Amy Butler...just when we thought your fabric couldn't be any cuter! There you go again!!! Love It!

    How wonderful for Erica, and I know that there will be so much love and many prayers sewn into that gorgeous quilt.

    Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete

A very dear blog reader says...